Thursday, June 11, 2020

Confidence in catastrophe



Judging by the latest polling numbers the level of UK public confidence that our Government is handling the Covid-19 crisis competently is currently lower than any other European country. Back in March as we entered the current lock-down approval ratings were running at around 70%, now, after one of the highest death tolls in the world, the Cummings scandal and cover-ups over testing numbers, ratings are bumbling along at a miserly 40% (i.e. 6 out of 10 people think the Government is incompetent!). What amazes me is that 40% of people actually have a positive view of this Government's handling of the crisis, if you'd have asked me before I saw the chart, I would have predicted a much lower figure!

I seriously can't imagine what's likely to happen if we have a second spike of cases at the same time as a no deal Brexit, as a business owner, my mind is seriously boggled at the prospect. From a business perspective, things are hard enough right now as they are, but another 4-6 months of lock-down allied with the sudden imposition of harmful tariffs on the majority of our exports would likely turn crisis into catastrophe, and to cap it all no general election for another 3-4 years! 

Perhaps it's time to dust off my Irish ancestry!

No comments: