Saturday, May 09, 2020

Jumpers for goalposts


This reminds me of when I was a kid. At the time we lived on a housing estate near Portsmouth, they were all new houses at the time and we were surrounded by building sites. Hours of fun was had leaping out of the second story windows of unfinished houses into piles of sand. I remember one time we did it and mistook lime (not the fruit!) for sand, my mum was furious as it burnt my legs and feet. I remember being told "come home before it gets dark", other than that, the school holiday days were ours. Many adventures were had, getting bootfuls of stinky swamp mud from the estuary, putting pennies on the railway track (to squash them), climbing trees and playing football for hours at the "rec". Today things are different, kids aren't able to play like this anymore, although it was pretty irresponsible when I think back but we did have fun.

No comments: