Friday, February 05, 2021

Vaccine envy


Could we be seeing the emergence of a kind of "vaccine envy" in certain quarters of our communities?

With the near ubiquitous presence of social media in everyone's lives it's not unusual to see people posting comments like "Hurrah, got my vaccine today, feeling safer already" etc. This is especially disconcerting if you know the person in question and know that they're perhaps the same age and/or risk group as you and yet you haven't seen any sign of yours yet! 

There are, of course, many reasons for this, the specific date and time of your vaccine appointment is currently a postcode lottery (more or less) but never the less this situation will lead to inevitable snarky feelings and comments. Last time I looked at the vaccine waitlist for my area, age and medical profile the website said that there were 27 million people ahead of me in the queue, that's quite a lot of people and time, even at the rate of 1-2 million people per week! I do wonder if, like in every crisis there has ever been, that money talks? I would bet a lot that there's already a flourishing black-market for vaccines at the right price and in the right circles, there is certainly a black-market for fake ones. I did notice on the "Covid Map" for the UK that London boroughs like Kensington and Mayfair the incidence of infections are some of the lowest in the country, could be because there's no one there (perhaps all the residents have fled or are in Bermuda?) or perhaps they've all had covert jabs at £500 a go, who knows. I do find myself asking the question "would I pay?", I have to be honest, the circumstances would play a bit part in any decision but, I wouldn't rule it out..

 

No comments: