Thursday, February 18, 2021

Another bumper harvest


Another bumper harvest of tasty beers from my local craft brewer Siren last year (2020) Despite the difficulties of lockdowns and limited trading they still managed to crank out an outstanding number of quality brews across a vast array of styles and techniques. If I were to pick a favourite from each row (i.e. the cans on the left hand side) I'd say top row, 13th from the left we have "Every minute matters" a collaboration with Green Cheek in the USA, a classic West Coast IPA, grapefruit, pithy and bitter with an oily hop vibe that was really memorable. On the second row down I'd go for eighth from the left, "I left my wallet in El Dorado" a hazy IPA made with El Dorado hops, a classic burst of stone fruit and orange, delicious. Then from the third row down it would have to be "I Sold my Soul for Citra" a showcase of the Citra hop (one of my fav's) thick gloopy and deliciously fruity a real hop soup of a beer. Lastly from the bottom row I'd plump for "White Tips", a wit beer inspired pale ale made with the zest of citrus fruits and a Belgian yeast, so refreshing and loaded with special meaning for me.

On the right hand side we have their range of barrel aged beers (in bottles) and their "core" range (330ml cans) I find the barrel aged examples interesting (from a complexity of flavour point of view) but always struggle to find an occasion to drink them. They're mostly high ABV some as much as 11-12% so they're not everyday chuggers, but, clearly I must try harder on this front! Whenever Siren release a new one it usually garners rave reviews online, perhaps I should start trying these beers with food, much like you would wine? Mature Roquefort and red wine barrel aged saison or stout anyone?

Bravo Siren!

 

No comments: