Thursday, November 02, 2023

How low can we go?

 


So, came down to the kitchen today with a stinking headache and walked over to the coffee machine to grab my morning capo and noticed a big pool of something around the base of the machine. When I went to wipe it up I discovered that it wasn't water overspill from filling the machine (as I suspected) but was sticky! 

Anyway in a moment of unusual clarity for that time in the morning, I suddenly twigged what was going on; low pressure! Because of storm Ciaran there is a region of very low pressure hovering over the Southern half of the UK at the moment (970-980mb), low pressure means that a differential between the pressure in my Monin caramel syrup bottle (pictured above) and the ambient pressure in the room had been created overnight, pressure in the bottle was higher than outside, and therefore the contents of the bottle would be trying to exit the bottle, which is exactly what they were doing, also explains my headache!

No comments: