Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I love the smell of fresh consumer electronics in the morning :)

I guess that since you are reading this you are probably interesting in reading stuff, and more importantly stuff that's presented electronically?





I learnt today that Amazon Kindles are becoming available in the UK on October 19th. For those not in the know on this, the Kindle is an electronic book reader or e-reader for short, it allows you to download books, magazines and newspapers to it's on-board memory and then read them on the go via a small black and white non-reflective screen (like e-paper) the whole thing is light, thin and highly portable. Amazon have had the Kindle a couple of years now but the latest DX version has the features I've been waiting for, wireless networking, built in 3G (so you can download books on the hoof from anywhere) and support for the ubiquitous PDF and MP3 formats.

I love to flit between books and at any one time I probably have up to 10 of them on the go, of course it's totally  impractical to carry all these books around so this device offers me a potential solution. I reckon it'll be dead handy for holidays too; it's expensive though and of course you still have to buy the books, but I might just have to treat myself.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

well, I just read on the Register that Bezos has screwed up by introducing Kindle over here without making it touch first to compete with Apple's upcoming offering. I might have to wait for that -- been wanting a Kindle for years.

Steve Borthwick said...

E, Apple always seem to have an "upcoming" offering don't they :)

There are issues with the "international" Kindle apparently, and the books still need to be bought from the US, I might just wait for a more rounded release, it looks like a nice device though. (I'm not fussed about a touch screen)