Monday, February 09, 2015

Jab at anti-jabbers

Topical at the moment. I know many people like these stereotypical liberal fuzzy thinkers; very nice, reasonable (usually "spiritual") people who just don't seem to accept that reliable, peer reviewed scientific evidence trumps "feelings" 99% of the time and the other 1% is when we're all being scammed or there has been a dreadful mistake. Even then, the odds of not getting side-effects from a modern vaccine are still better than dying, unprotected, from a preventable disease like measles or mumps and this is before we look at how anti-vaxxers are reducing herd immunity to dangerous levels. Then again I guess if your world-view doesn't value evidence then its pretty pointless me trying to convince you how important and reliable empirical evidence is!

After all we could go back to the good old days when humans used no manufactured chemicals, no drugs, no antiseptics, no vaccines and everything we ate was organic, problem was, we mostly kicked the bucket aged 35 years; the number of dopey 50-70 year olds that seem to need constant reminding of that is a reliable, evidence-based source of amazement.

No comments: