Sunday, January 31, 2016

Boil Kettle


Did a bit of DIY this weekend and fitted a weldless tap to the 16 litre stock pot that I use for the boil stage of my brewing process. Of course I had to give it a test so I brewed up a batch of beer, it didn't leak and made the transfer process to my fermenting vessels (which you can just see in the background) much easier. I was finding that I wasted a lot of liquid trying to tip a heavy pot into a small necked glass demijohn, even with a funnel; so all in all a successful day. If you're wondering what the tubes are going into the pot then it's a copper cooling coil, essentially it hooks up to the cold tap and allows cold water to circulate through the hot beer, rapidly cooling it down to around 20 centigrade so that the yeast can be pitched into it, saves waiting hours for it to cool naturally.

No comments: