Thursday, January 07, 2016

False solutions


Some people seem to build an entire career out of moving from company to company saying "I think we should implement software application X to solve this problem", where X just happens to be the latest WEB based gizmo or mobile app that they happen to have read about or seen over someone else's shoulder. In reality what this always translates to is "I have no idea how to solve this business problem, but implementing a new software application will distract everyone long enough that hopefully it won't matter and I will have moved to my next company by then".

When you've been doing software stuff for as long as I have you realise that if someone can't explain a problem or solution in words, pictures or mime, then any software application they might pick will almost certainly be the wrong one.

No comments: