Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Eagle down


Saddened to hear about the death of Glenn Frey of The Eagles (rock band) fame today. I found the cartoon above to be appropriate as it's both political from a Democratic party perspective (which later Eagles material often was) and also has the words "lyin' eyes" in the punchline which was the title of a song written by Frey back in 1975 and one of their hits. I never thought much of the Eagles when I was younger but have grown to appreciate them over the years, to the point now where I would consider myself a fan. I particularly liked the cut of their jib when it came to thought provoking lyrics and intelligent song writing, I particularly liked the last studio album they did back in 2007 which was about how they saw American politics and the wars it was engaged in at the time (particularly Iraq), one verse in particular stood out for me,

Behold the bitten apple - the power of the tools
But all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools
And it's a long road out of Eden....

A great metaphor for the political leaders of the day I thought.

Of course there are the older classics to feast on too; like "Hotel California", "Witchy Woman" and "Life in the Fast Lane" etc. I remember seeing the original line up at Wembley on one their come-back tours in the 90s sometime, on reflection one of the best concerts I've ever been to and I'm sad to think probably ever will.

No comments: