Saturday, April 09, 2022

The first cut is the deepest


I was in London yesterday on business and had an early start so I decided to stay in a hotel on Thursday night to minimize discomfort (I'm not an early morning person!) Anyway, I camped out in a hotel just off the cut, which is a road near Waterloo station and by the time I got there it was around 6pm so I decided to pop out and grab some food. 

Many years ago I did a project near that spot and we used to frequently grab a pie and a pint in a pub there called "The Ring", it was in a handy location being in between the office we were working in and the station. The unusual fact about this particular pub is that it's situated opposite what used to be the spiritual home of British boxing, a kind of 18th century "fight club" that housed many famous bouts through the ages, it was destroyed during the blitz by German bombs, but the pub retains the name (see pic below). 




Inside the pub is decked out with lots of boxing memorabilia and I distinctly remember a picture of Henry Cooper on the wall, I'm pleased to say that, although the pub has had a complete re-fit since I was last there, the photo of Henry is still there so I snapped a pic (above) for nostalgia!


No comments: