Friday, September 16, 2022

Critters unite..


There's an estate of new houses a couple of clicks from where I live, part of the 8 million new houses that are apparently earmarked for development in the green fields around here by recent Tory governments ðŸ™ƒ  Anyway, I often route my daily walk past it and at the entrance there's a small ornamental pond (created by the developers to look pretty in front of their sales office) and over the last couple of years I've observed the development of this body of water as I paced past it. It's been full, dried up, iced over and snow covered it's also been populated by little baby fish and been home to a couple of unfeasibly large fish, also home to Herons, ducks and on the odd occasion a Grey Wagtail! Over the Summer the developers of the site obviously decided that the pond was now surplus to requirements since the development is complete and they ripped up the plastic base of the pond and turned over the earth with a digger, the fate of the fish is unknown. 

Rather amusingly after a couple of weeks of rainy weather, the pond is back! It would seem that the pond rather likes being here and judging by the growth of reeds and aquatic looking grass at the top of the depression the developers may well have unwittingly created a permanent feature. I rather like this pond, it's not a looker but it does provide a little something interesting to observe rather than the rows of boring shoddily built houses and flats, let's hope the pond prevails and some new critters can take up residence for me to look at as I stroll by!

No comments: