Friday, August 20, 2021

Dog-day Thursday

 


They're called "mans best friend" but in my experience dogs are a mixed bag. I went for my normal daily walk yesterday (Thursday) and it turned out to be a very doggy experience. I'd only got 100 yards up the road from my house when I encountered two Women hanging onto leads for grim death at the end of which were two little dogs yapping, scratching and biting the crap out of each other. The problem was that this fight was occupying the whole pavement, I crossed over to the other side of the road, much to the horror of one of the Women, who seemed to be intimating that I should do something to help? I took one look at the flashing gnashers and razor sharp claws and concluded that the only thing I could usefully do would be to recommend a good dog trainer.

A little further around my route I observed another Woman coming in the opposite direct with what looked like a ball of white muscle on the end of a rope. As we got closer I noticed her tensing up, she gripped the rope tighter and tighter as I approached, finally when we were a few meters apart the dog went absolutely ape, barking, snarling and bearing it's teeth, it was the most she could do to hang onto it. Wow, some people, I could barely believe that, what looked like a pit-bull, could be allowed at all, let alone one so vicious and under trained, a disaster just waiting to happen, luckily I'm quite nimble on my feet and swerved out into the road to avoid trouble.

About another 100 yards up the same road there is a Vet's surgery, as I approached it I noticed a rather large van parked up outside and on getting closer I noticed that the back door of the van was open and it was full of little cages. In each cage (a five by five square of them) was a dog and as I passed by they all simultaneously opened up, the cacophony of barking made me jump out of my skin, my pace quickened and I felt like someone, somewhere was challenging me to find my inner dog.

Into the last three kilometers of the walk and I was just beginning to relax again, I turned a corner and there was a middle aged Woman and what I presume was her young Son, I didn't think anything of it as I sped up to pass them. Once passed I slowed back down to a relaxing pace only to be startled once again by a shrill screech from behind me. The kid was screaming something at the top of his lungs, bloody kids I thought but didn't think too much of it. Twenty seconds later the same thing. I looked back this time and realised they were out looking for a lost, yes you guessed it, DOG! At this point I thought to myself that I'd probably shake them off at the next turning as it was a side road leading to a path into a wooded area, but no, they followed my precise route at a distance of about 20 meters with a broken voice teenage screech and cry every 30 seconds, they stuck to my tail for about 2 kilometers (20 minutes of walking), I finished my walk far from relaxed, in fact I was glad to get back to work to chill out a bit!



No comments: