Friday, August 27, 2021

Wine shortages?

 


As I mentioned in a couple of previous posts, we spent last weekend in a hotel in the Cotswolds, enjoying the birthday celebrations of a good friend. I did however notice a rather ominous trend as we worked our way around several of the restaurants in the area, the object of my concern was wine. In the restaurant at our hotel (4*) there was a tidy little wine list, nothing too extravagant but adequate for an informal dinner. I ordered a Chianti to partner with some Italian inspired meat dishes but after a couple of minutes the waiter came back to the table to inform me that they had run out of the Chianti, ok, no drama, I'll have the Primitivo instead. A few more minutes passed, and the same thing happened, sorry no Italian wine available, I jokingly suggested that perhaps it would be quicker to see a list of the wines they actually did have! Anyway, third time lucky I opted for a Crianza from Spain, bingo! they had it and it was lovely. Having enjoyed the wine we decided to go for a second bottle (between four of us), guess what, they'd run out and offered an off-menu (inferior) choice (Rioja), shit happens I thought, but not ideal.

Unfortunately for us, what seemed like a one-off unlucky evening turned out to be something of a trend! A similar story was repeated in every single restaurant we visited, i.e. at least one or two of my choices weren't available (can't just be me!) One waiter said that they were having "supply issues".. 

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I think I'm beginning to smell a Brexit rat..

No comments: