Saturday, February 04, 2023

Blending in


I had a box of beer to pick up from my local brewery (Siren) yesterday so I popped over in my lunch hour to their tap room to get it. I expected things to be nice and quiet, being the middle of the day, but the bar was absolutely rammed! I hadn't realised but today is the day that the team at Siren blend this year's version of their flag-ship barrel aged beer called "Maiden". It's made from a base beer that's been aged in a variety of barrels over many years. Some of these vessels used to contain things like whiskey others things like red wine so the task is to sample the different sources of beer over time and to create a flavoursome blend of different beers and different years. I've tried Maiden many times and it's amazing, it has a complexity to it much like a fine wine, lots of layers of flavour and usually quite strong, I usually only have a 330ml bottle and savour it over a meal or with cheese etc. The photo above is the Siren tap room full of Siren employees working their way through the various candidates for blending and voting on the final mix. Good luck guys (make it a good one!).

 

No comments: