Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Trick or Treat?

 


Released on this day in 1976, I was a teenager and loved this album to pieces. I remember the hot Summer that year and I also remember a lot of snow although maybe that was 1977? Anyway, I was living in Warminster, Wiltshire at the time and I recall the whole town getting "snowed in" for at least a couple of hours one weekend. All the kids at my school headed up to the downs and the golf course above the town and dug ourselves snow caves to sit in, not sure why, but it seemed like a great adventure at the time, maybe we were influenced by the lyrics of the title track, who knows.

And so we set out with the beast and his horns
And his crazy description of home.
After many days journey we came to a peak
Where the beast gazed abroad and cried out.
We followed his gaze and we thought that maybe we saw
A spire of gold - no, a trick of the eye that's all,
But the beast was gone and a voice was heard:

They've got no horns and they've got no tail
They don't even know of our existence
Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold
That lies in the deep distance

Hello friend, welcome home.

No comments: