Saturday, July 31, 2021

Wine o'clock


My Wife and I were watching Brideshead Revisited on the telly last night and we both noticed the copious consumption of wine by the main character of that story (Sebastian) and we both had the same thought at the same instant, that we should open a nice bottle of wine! So I picked out a 2001 Clos du Marquis which is a wine from Bordeaux and my favourite region within that lofty terroir called Saint Julien. This particular bottle was from the 2001 vintage coincidentally the year my Son was born. It wasn't a stellar year but the producer of this wine declassified many of the grapes from their more expensive "grand vin" into this one, meaning that this wine was much better than normal. It really shone, delicious flavours of blackcurrant and red fruits, a slight whiff of ink on the nose and a finish that lasted longer than most Olympic events. I bought a case of it many years ago and I seem to remember that it cost around £16 per bottle, I reckon you'd easily pay over a hundred quid for one of these in a posh restaurant these days, so it's a good job I have a few left! 

 

No comments: