Sunday, June 12, 2016

Best beer in Britain?


I had an enjoyable couple of days away with my Wife in London this weekend and I found myself in a restaurant with a spectacular beer list. So, not wishing to waste an opportunity to try some new things I thought I'd go for a beer that I've heard a lot about but never actually seen on sale anywhere (other than on-line). The beverage in question is from Manchester brewers Cloudwater and is a 9% double IPA or "DIPA", this particular one (shown in the photo) is version 3 of this particular beer and I hadn't tried any of them, but people who have generally rave about them.

TBH I don't think the praise is overdone at all, the beer is fantastic. A cloudy bronze pale ale, delicate carbonation, the American hops scream out of the glass at you on the nose but when you take a sip everything is perfectly in balance. The beer simply doesn't taste like a 9% beer, no alcohol burn here just a wonderfully smooth and balanced drink. Flavorsome, hoppy, malty and refreshing, but at £7 for a 330ml bottle (restaurant price) and with several different (hard to get) ales to try I only had the one. I would go out on a limb and propose that this is probably the best beer in Britain right now, certainly in it's class.

No comments: