Monday, June 27, 2016

Common interests


Saw this today, made me think about people and what's possible with the right attitude.

It's interesting how common interests help to overcome differences and "fear of the other", if only we take the time to find them. We have a German exchange student staying with us at the moment and from the moment we picked him up he hasn't stopped nattering about football and the European tournament going on at the moment. This is great because my Son is also mad about football and consequently they're getting on like a house on fire, which is wonderful to watch. Just two young boys with everything ahead of them and who know little of the barriers our society seems to want to throw up. I really hope their generation is able to patch up the mess that my generation is leaving behind, when I chat with them both it's difficult not to feel embarrassed about where I'm from.

No comments: