Friday, December 09, 2022

Christmas party season


Sometimes it's fun to watch people's behaviour at the institution that is the "office Christmas Party" (we have ours tonight!). Being a technology company my firm has quite a few people who you could characterise as "introverts", this is pretty standard in our industry, writing software seems to attract that kind of person and the work suits them (i.e. not much interaction with people) If you're an introvert then from a psychological perspective social interaction,  particularly "small-talk" at parties essentially feels like it's draining your soul away, if you're an extrovert then the exact same thing feels energising and fun, it's a funny old game. 

Anyway, I'm probably somewhere in the middle, i.e. if the people and the conversation is "right" (i.e. interests me) then I'm quite chatty, otherwise it feels draining. Chatting  to Mildred in accounts about her recent holiday to Lanzarote does me in, whereas chatting to someone about their views on objective reality or their opinion of 2010 Pomerol holds my interest keenly, I guess it's the different between talking about "things" vs talking about "ideas", I've always been more interested in ideas.

 

No comments: